- Index page with recent astrophotos
- Leeuwenboschfontein weekend starparty 2016 Mar 4-6
- Events observed by me from 2003 latest: Mercury transit 2016 May 9
- Page with sky pictures with the EOS 6
- Lunar and planetary images and phenomenas
- Page with sky pictures with the EOS 40 from Bali jan 2009, feb 2010 and 2012
- Page with sky pictures from La Palma Jan / Feb 2011
- Total lunar eclipse of 2011 Jun 15
- Solar eclipse visible as deep partial in Indonesia on 2009 Jan 26
- Old 1973 Polarex 80mm spotting scope refurbishment.
- New 2015 Robtics ED110 refractor
- Using a telephoto lens as a small handheld telescope
- > Nice sky pictures taken from a plane in full flight
- How to see stars in the daytime ?
- How I learned Astronomy
- Astronomik CLS filter test
- Simple Eclipse calculations
Sky pics from a plane in full flight
UPDATE 2015 Feb 8 : two new pictures added from the sky from a Dubai to Capetown flight EK772.
UPDATE 2013 Feb 3 : two new pictures added from the sky from a Dubai to Johannesburg flight and back.
UPDATE 2012 Feb 3 : two new pictures added from the sky from a flight from Amsterdam to Singapore.
During a trip to Bali in Jan 2009 I was on the plane during a 12 hour flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur on Jan 11 2009 I wanted to play with my Canon EOS 40 SLR camera. The flight was calm and I was in the rear of the Boeing 747-400 of Malaysia Airlines and could put my camera befor the emergency exit window and tried to make time exposures of the sky. Because of the glare of the in-plane lighting I put the window shutter down to just above the lens and shielded it off by a blanket provided to the passngers. Then I took the picture, 8 seconds @ F/4 18mm at 3200 ASA. Remarkably good result. (When there is turbulence, passengers are supposed to be seated with the seatbelts fastened).